Area-34 km2, population - 4372 (january 2010) , city rights since 1783.
At first this area was a port for the Swedes living in Estonia, then a military port built by the Russian Empire. During the Soviet times Paldiski was a closed territory because of the military objects over there.
Today Paldiski is the centre of transit trade due to its cargo and passenger ports. A good highway and convenient, frequent and confortable rail service, incomparable nature encourage this development.
Paldiski covers the largest area in the Harju Country, the whole of Pakri peninsula. The town also owns Pakri islands that were the Soviet military training grounds for bombing. Right now the islands are not inhabited permanently, but until the Second World War they were inhabited by the Estonian Swedes.
Beautiful nature, sea views from cliffs and avenues in the centre of the town make Pakri peninsula a friendly living environment. During the last years much work has been done to renovate the houses and also many cultural activities have taken place again.
Paldiski is a native town to the sculptor Amandus Adamson whose most famous work is "Russalka", a monument commemorating a Russian warship that sunk in 1897.